Moray families battle to recover from horrific crash

Rosalyn Wie and her daughter Stephanie - daughter Katharine is recovering at Dr Gray's.
Rosalyn Wie and her daughter Stephanie – daughter Katherine is recovering at Dr Gray’s.

TWO LOSSIEMOUTH FAMILIES are coming to terms with the outcome of a horrific car crash that left a man and woman with RAF connections battling for recovery in the Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.

The road between Lossiemouth and Elgin was turned into a scene of devastation on August 26 when a Vauxhall Signum driven by RAF Lossiemouth air traffic controller Ryan Adamson collided with a Nissan Juke driven by Katherine McLoughlin, the wife of a civil servant at the local air base.

It took fire fighters some time to free Mr Adamson from his vehicle and he was subsequently rushed to Aberdeen for treatment that left his family believing that his survival chances were only 50/50.

Mrs McLoughlin was also taken first to Dr Gray’s in Elgin but later transferred to Aberdeen after undergoing an emergency operation to remove part of her bowel.

Mr Adamson’s family revealed this week that he had suffered two collapsed lungs in the accident – but remarkably had taken his first steps since the accident this week, although he had some way to go to full recovery.

This week Mrs McLoughlin’s mother, Rosalyn Wie, well known in Moray as administrator of the Moray Dance school which operates studios in Elgin, Kinloss, Forres and Lossiemouth, spoke of the devastation felt by her daughter and family after the accident.

She told the P&J: “The crash was a terrible shock for the family. When she was taken to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary a plastic surgeon had to reconstruct her stomach muscles which had been torn in half.

“Katherine remembers the accident vividly and I’m not sure how she will ever be able to get in a car again – even though her business is based on being able to get around. It could be another eight weeks before she is back on her feet.”

Mrs McLoughlin, a mother of two who runs the KTY Letting Agency in Lossiemouth, was moved back to Dr Gray’s this week to continue her recovery. Mrs Wie is meanwhile helping to run her daughter’s business.