A MORAY BUSINESS has stepped in to replace funding for the Highland Military Tattoo after councillors had rejected a £4000 grant bid.
Last week event organisers were left to look elsewhere when their two-year grant application to Moray Councillors was rejected because it was not considered to bring “viable economic interest” to the region.
The Tattoo – which is being held at Fort George from September 11 to 13 – boasts a strong Moray contingent in its programme with participation from both RAF Lossiemouth and Kinloss Barracks.
Councillors rejected the funding bid because any profits from it would go to armed forces charities – and that was against Moray Council’s policy on award scheme grants, which says proceeds from a supported project should be reinvested in the event or returned to the council as a percentage of profit.
That left a funding gap for the already popular event which having only been established last year is still finding its feet. However, it was revealed on Thursday that Moray Estates had stepped in to fill the funding gap.
The Firm’s managing director, Andrew Howard, said that the Tattoo was a great opportunity to put the entire area onto the map, adding: “It is not only exciting to see and enjoy – it is another way of highlighting this part of the world.
“Moray has a strong military tradition with the Army and RAF and communities surrounding the bases – so we acted by stepping in to help.”
Tickets are available for the Tattoo through Ticketline on 0844 888 9991 or they can also be ordered through the Eden Court Theatre box office.