The final of Moray’s Young Musician competition takes place at 7pm on Thursday 23 March at Elgin Academy.
The secondary school finalists from each of the Moray associated schools groups (ASG) will battle it out to become the region’s entry into the Scottish Young Musician – solo performer of the year in May.
The nationwide competition is open to all musicians of any age and standard who attend school in Scotland. A finalist from each local authority area in Scotland will take part in the grand final at the Royal Conservatoire Scotland.
Musicians placed 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the Moray regional final will each receive a trophy, with all competitors gaining a certificate of recognition.
Moray’s Young Musician will be selected on 23 March by a panel of adjudicators led by Alistair Hardie, retired musical director of the Culbin Singers; Council Leader and Chair of Forres and District Pipe Band, Cllr Kathleen Robertson; and Jane Ferguson, a retired specialist music teacher.
Speaking ahead of the regional final, Cllr Robertson, said: “I know just how talented our young musicians across Moray are and I’m looking forward to an evening of high class entertainment. The adjudication is likely to be tough as a result but I’m honoured to be involved in this way and would be delighted to see lots of people celebrating and supporting our young talent on the night.”
Tickets for the grand final are now on sale via the Moray Council e-shop and is open to anyone interested in supporting and celebrating Moray’s young musicians.
Moray Young Musician regional finalists are:
- Buckie High School ASG: Abigail Campbell (Bagpipes)
- Elgin High School ASG: Tomasz Meszka (Trumpet)
- Elgin Academy ASG: Finlay McLuckie (Piano)
- Forres Academy ASG: Edward Clark (Cello)
- Keith Grammar School ASG: Siobhan Donnison (Flute)
- Lossiemouth High School ASG: Thomas Main (Drumkit)
- Milne’s High School ASG: Izzy MacPherson (Tuba)
- Speyside High School ASG: Arwen Burns (Violin)
Primary school winners (by ASG):
- Buckie High School ASG: Amelia Ross (Millbank Primary School, Violin)
- Elgin High School ASG: Ellie Hommel (Mosstowie Primary School, Saxophone)
- Elgin Academy ASG: no entry
- Forres Academy ASG: no entry
- Keith Grammar School ASG: Maisie Todd (Keith Primary School, Cello)
- Lossiemouth High School ASG: Hanalei Whittle (Hopeman Primary School, Piano)
- Milne’s High School ASG: Chloe Campbell (Milne’s Primary School, Violin)
- Speyside High School ASG: Aaron Hanmer (Tomintoul Primary School, Flute)
Each Primary School Young Musician is invited to the live Moray final and will be presented with their certificate.