POLICE IN FORRES are continuing their enquiries into a series of vandalism acts that took place in the area earlier this week that they say could have been a reaction to their clampdown on such crimes.
Thousands of pounds worth of damage was caused through incidents between Saturday and Sunday last week, when vehicles and homes were damaged in the Balnageith and Pilmuir areas.
Forres Police Inspector Paul McCruden said the level of damage caused was “in no way typical” of what happens in the town – and may well be a “despicable response to the launch of Operation Regard”, the Moray-wide anti-vandalism campaign launched in Forres two weeks ago.
Inspector McCruden said: “Officers have been noting statements from victims, interviewing potential witnesses, carrying out house-to-house enquiries and investigating any CCTV opportunities.
“We have also been carrying out additional patrols in the areas worst affected and we can reassure local residents that this action will continue over the forthcoming weekend.”
A 78-year-old Forres resident, whose car was damaged by vandals, said: “I don’t understand why anyone would want to behave in this way.
“It is likely that my car will cost over £2000 to repair and I’ll be extremely inconveniences whilst the car is in the garage getting fixed. This incident has had a devastating effect on me. There must be people in Forres who know those responsible and I’d urge them to contact the Police.”
Inspector McCruden added: “When you listen to how these mindless acts of vandalism have impacted upon the people of Forres, it’s essential that anyone with information regarding these crimes comes forward and speaks to us. Anyone with information can contact Police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 if you wish to remain anonymous.”