Elgin City get off to a cup flyer at Borough Briggs

BBC radio pundit John Robertson concluded that Scottish League Two defences had a problem this season in dealing with Elgin City’s new strike partnership.

However, the former Hearts star appreciates a good goalkeeper every bit as much as his admiration for strikers – and he knew as well as everyone else that City’s Ray Jellema was the man who laid the foundations for this Ramsden Cup win for the Borough Briggs side.

City were on the back foot from the start of this game, with the better opportunities falling to the visitors – that said, the home side showed just enough in attack to signal that with a few half-time tweaks they could turn things around.

And so it proved, but not before the home fans were put through the wringer. Scott Johnston took just over a minute to test City’s new goalkeeper, who stood firm to touch the ball over the bar from a shot close in.

The stopper did the same when Webster had another pop on target, while at the other end Craig Gunn burst forward down the right only to be ushered wide by goalkeeper McKenzie, who then blocked the home striker’s attempt to round him for a better angle.

Montrose appeared to have good claims for a penalty turned down before they were awarded one minutes before the interval. Crighton’s challenge on Johnston appeared fair enough with the playing going to ground before any contact was made, but the referee saw things differently and awarded a spot kick.

Jellema was again the hero, dropping low to his right to turn away McCord’s effort.

Ross Jack had a face like thunder going into the tunnel at the interval – and his players came out in the second half demonstrating their willingness to avoid any further anger after the full time whistle.

The home side had a couple of half-chances from the kick off, but when the opening goal came it as incisive and stylish. McLean sent a super diagonal ball from deep in his own half that allowed Gunn to dart forward, pulling the ball down and wrong-footing his marker in a single move.

Still work had to be done – and it was quite superbly, the striker homing in on goal before planting the ball into the bottom corner.

Fewer chances existing in the second half than the first, but that was fine for Elgin who controlled events with Jellema having little or nothing further to do.

The icing on the cake came with six minutes remaining, Gunn again picked out on the left flank but this time with his path blocked. He showed superb skill however, slipping the ball back into the path of strike partner Sutherland who drilled the ball home to complete a perfect debut.

Elgin City: Jellema, Niven, McMullan, Crichton, Duff, McLean, Gunn, Harkins (Mackenzie), Cameron, Sutherland, Beveridge. Unused: McKinnon, Urquhart, Wyness, Black.

Montrose: McKenzie, Masson, McIntosh, Wilson, Campbell, Winter (Gray), Webster, McCord, Wood, Johnston (Sturrock), Watson (Bell). Unused: Crawford, Easton.

Referee: B Cook

Leave a comment