Seven injured in major fire and explosion at Forres industrial site


Seven people have been injured in a major fire and explosion at the James Jones and Sons premises in Forres.

Emergency services were called to a fire at a wood dust storage silo at the Timber Systems division of the company on the Greshop Industrial Estate.

It is understand that there was an explosion as firefighters fought the blaze leaving seven people injured – including firefighters.

Amongst the injuries according to early reports is a 59-year-old male employee who was flow to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary with serious injuries. Two firefighters, both aged 47, were also taken to Raigmore Hospital in Inverness after the explosion.

A third firefighter received minor injuries and was treated at the scene.

The fire broke out at around 8am with the explosion reported to have happened at around 10.30am. Three fire engines and 15 firefighters were on the scene.

After learning of the incident Forres councillor Aaron McLean said: “My thoughts are with everyone at James Jones and I hope that those requiring hospital treatment have a full recovery.”

A spokesman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) said: “SFRS is currently at the scene of an incident at an industrial estate in Forres, Moray. ¬†Control received a call at 8am this morning reporting a fire in a silo at James Jones and Sons sawmill in Greyshop Industrial Estate, Forres.

“Three appliances, two from Forres and one from Elgin, were sent to the scene to tackle the fire. ¬†Firefighters in breathing apparatus used one hosereel jet and one main jet. Whilst firefighters were removing the contents of the silo an explosion occurred injuring three firefighters and four members of staff from the site.

“Crews remain on scene at the incident and expect to be there for several hours, carrying out firefighting operations.”

Police Scotland attended the scene and Police Scotland have confirmed that there will be a joint investigation involving themselves, SFRS and the Health and Safety Executive, however said it was too early to speculate on the cause.

The Health and Safety Executive are aware of the incident and an inspector is on site working with the other agencies.

Leave a comment