A man has lost his life after a Moray Firth diving expedition just off the coast at Findochty went tragically wrong.
The diver was just a few hundred yards from the harbour in shallow water when an RNLI crew were called to the scene at around 12.40pm on Sunday. After being taken into the harbour the man was pronounced dead by medical staff. His body was airlifted from the scene by a Sea King from RAF Lossiemouth.
A police statement said: “We can confirm that a 38-year-old has died whilst diving off the Moray coast.
“The dead man had been diving with colleagues when he got into difficulties. Despite efforts by other divers and rescue crews the diver sadly died.
“Officers are investigating the circumstances of the man’s death and, as is normal, a report will be submitted to the procurator fiscal in due course.”
Eye witnesses say the saw the RNLI boat pull alongside but were not aware that it was a major incident until the helicopter arrived on the scene.
A coastguard service spokesman said: “We were called from a mobile by one of the people that the diver was with.
“They had rung 999 saying that he had resurfaced but seemed to be unconscious and they were having difficulty getting him out of the water and back on to the boat.
“We requested the launch of the Buckie lifeboat and the search and rescue helicopter from RAF Lossiemouth, which was already up in the air as it had been on an exercise in the mountains.
“The diver was still in the water when the lifeboat crew arrived at the scene. The crew managed to get him onboard and took him to the harbour.”