THE GRIEVING FAMILY of teenager Keiran McKandie have been left devastated over heartless thieves who have raided their son’s resting place for a second time.
16-year-old Keiran was killed in a tragic accident on the B9010 near his home in Miltonduff in March. In June his parents Gordon and Sandra were horrified to find that items had been removed from his graveside at the Pluscarden Cemetery.
Mrs McKandie said at that time: “There are no words to describe the devastation that we are going through at this time and the removal of these items further increases the pain. Please can you show some compassion and return these items.”
Now it has emerged that thieves have struck a second time, leaving the family believing that they are being deliberately targeted by heartless individuals.
The family had waited several weeks, on the advice of police, before replacing the sentimental items of little or no value that were removed from the original theft.
However, the replacements they put in place have now also been stolen – prompting Mrs McKandie to say: “It is with absolute disgust and shock that I have to yet again had to inform the police that an item has been stolen from Pluscarden.
“This now feels personal. In the last month items have been removed from Keirans place of rest twice,with no apparent reason, but to distress us as a family even further.
“In the last few days thieves returned to take a replacement hedgehog ornament, a mascot of Keiran’s Mosstowie school.”
Mrs McKandie continued: “This time, however, the thief has made one big mistake – one of Keiran’s saving lives bands was around the hedgehog, the thief has removed the band and left it it lying on the ground.
“The police will now examine the band for fingerprints – so whoever you are if you put it back no action will be taken however if not wait for the police to come to your door.
“As a family we are in totally disbelief and distraught that Keiran can’t be left in peace.”
Police inspector Paul McCruden said that his officers were investigating the latest theft, adding: “It is believed it took place between 7.30pm on Wednesday, July 6 and 3pm on Thursday, July 7.
“I would make it very clear that thoughtless and despicable crimes of this nature will not be tolerated – the items in question hold great sentimental value and this has caused great distress.
“I urge anyone with information to get in touch with police as soon as possible.”